Vogel’s healthy bread can be used in so many ways. You can use to make a satisfying lunchtime sandwich. Toast it to make a super tasty breakfast to accompany your morning cuppa. Slice it up into soldiers and dip into your boiled egg. The list goes on. But have you ever thought about turning our healthy bread into delicious breadcrumbs and using it in your cooked meals?
Bread crumbs add a lovely texture and bite to your food. And if you have children who are not so keen on plain healthy bread, using breadcrumbs is a great (and sneaky!) way of getting all the delicious nutrients and grains in Vogel’s bread into your kid’s bellies!
So what are the best recipes using healthy bread crumbs? Pasta dishes work a treat with breadcrumbs and they are also good for coating meats and sprinkling on vegetables. And don’t forget that bread crumbs can be made with both fresh and stale bread. Instead of throwing it away, you can use it to make some delightful dishes.
So let’s take a look at how you can use healthy bread crumbs in your cooking.
To make fresh bread crumbs, blitz your slices of bread in a food processor and use them straight away. It is also a good idea to store the ends and crusts of your loaves in a bag in the freezer, so you have some bread ready the next time you want to make some breadcrumbs.
To make your own dried bread crumbs, put your slices of Vogel’s bread in an oven on 150°. Turn the slices until they are evenly dried out on both sides. Then blitz the bread in a food processor. You can store these bread crumbs in an airtight container and they should last a couple of months or so.
If you want to add a savoury touch to your crumbs, try mixing them with some herbs, spices and parmesan cheese. These crumbs are great for coating chicken pieces, fish fillets, lamb cutlets and beef. Or you can sprinkle them over a nice summer salad to add a little texture.
Now, onto one of our favourite pasta dishes using healthy bread crumbs…
Pasta with Toasted Breadcrumbs, Anchovies, Garlic and Crushed Red Pepper (from Alexandra Cooks)
½ lb pasta, preferably small pasta like penne or caserecce
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
4/5 anchovies, minced
freshly cracked black pepper
½ cup finely chopped basil or parsley
1 cup of Vogel’s toasted bread crumbs
1. Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add a big pinch of salt. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid. Drain. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, place the oil, pepper flakes, garlic and anchovies. Bring to a sizzle over high heat. Mix the ingredients together and cook for a further minutes, then remove pan from heat. Set aside.
3. Place the pasta in a large bowl. Add about 2 tablespoons of the reserved pasta cooking liquid and toss. Add the anchovy-infused olive oil mixture and toss well. Add more pasta cooking liquid if necessary. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper if you wish. Add chopped basil, breadcrumbs and toss well. Serve.
Sauté Salmon Cakes
This quick and tasty recipe uses healthy bread crumbs to bind together the following ingredients
500g skinless salmon fillet,
2 spring onion roughly chopped
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 spring onion finely chopped
1 healthy dollop of sour cream, optional
1. In a food processor, pulse the salmon, spring onion, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper until coarsely chopped.
2. Mix in the bread crumbs and form into 8 patties.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook patties until opaque throughout, about 2 minutes per side. Top with a dollop of sour cream and finely chopped spring onion. Best served with a green leafy salad.
There are literally hundreds of lunch and dinner meals you can make using Vogel’s healthy bread crumbs. Be creative and enjoy!