Is there anything better than a warm toasted sandwich for lunch?
The secret to a great homemade reuben toasted sandwich is to butter the outside of the bread and mix your own dressing.
4 slices Vogel’s bread
2 tbsp butter, softened
150 g Emmental, sliced
100 g salt beef or pastrami, sliced
4 tbsp sauerkraut, well drained
2 dill pickles
crudites, to serve
for the dressing:
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp ketchup
1 shallot, finely grated
2 tsp American mustard
1 tsp horseradish sauce
¼ tsp smoked paprika
a few drops Worcester sauce
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter (this will be the outside of the sandwich).
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together, then spread some on the other side of the bread. Top all four pieces of bread with cheese.
- Top two of the slices with salt beef and sauerkraut, then arrange the other two slices on top and press down firmly.
- Set a large frying pan over a medium heat and toast the sandwiches for 2-3 minutes while pressing down with a spatula. When they’re golden and crisp on the underside, flip them over and cook the other side until golden and crisp. They’re ready when the cheese has melted completely.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with dill pickles, crudites and the rest of thedressing.