Looking for a new recipe to try? Fancy mixing things up a bit in the kitchen? Why not give our Antipasti Strata recipe a go and surprise the family with a new dish on the menu. This versatile dish is ideal for a filling snack, lunchtime meal, or accompaniment to other antipasti dishes.
1 loaf Vogel’s Original Mixed Grain
150 g fresh pesto
250 g mixed vegetable antipasti (eg. sundried tomatoes, stoned olives, roasted peppers, preserved artichokes), drained of oil and chopped if large
2 balls mozzarella, sliced
3 large eggs, plus 3 extra yolks
300 ml double cream
600 ml whole milk
2 tbsp Pecorino or Parmesan, finely grated
- Toast all the bread slices in a toaster or under the grill until lightly browned.
- Spread each slice with pesto, then cut in half on the diagonal.
- Layer the pesto toast with the antipasti and mozzarella in a 30 cm x 20 cm baking dish.
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks, cream and milk together, then pour all over the bread.
- Cover the dish with foil, then weigh it down with a second baking dish.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours, or make it the day before and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180 fan) / gas 6. Remove the top baking dish, but leave the foil on.
- Bake the pudding for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with Pecorino and return to the oven, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until crisp on top and just set in the centre. Leave to cool for 20 minutes before serving.