As the evenings get darker and the cold weather sets in, it’s time to bring back the comforting, wholesome winter recipes. Why not give our Glamorgan sausages recipe a try when you’re after something a little different for your midweek meal, or alternatively they’re delicious in a sandwich too.
8 slices Vogel’s Original Mixed Grain
4 tbsp butter
2 medium leeks, finely chopped
250 g Caerphilly cheese, coarsely grated
3 large eggs, separated
2 tsp English mustard
1 large handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
¼ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
2-3 tbsp milk
- Remove the crusts from the bread and tear the rest into small pieces. Tip them into a food processor and pulse to make breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a frying pan and fry the leeks over a gentle heat for 10 minutes or until soft and sweet.
- Tip the leeks into a bowl and stir in 150 g of the breadcrumbs, plus the cheese, egg yolks, mustard, parsley and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well with your hands, adding just enough milk to help everything clump together.
- Wash your hands, then use your wet hands to shape the mixture into 8 sausages. Cover and chill for 1 hour or overnight if preferred.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180 fan) / gas 6.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until frothy, then dip the sausages. Spread out the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl, then roll the sausages in them to coat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in an ovenproof frying pan. When it starts to sizzle, add the sausages and colour on one side, then turn them over and transfer the pan to the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until nicely browned all over. Serve with chutney and salad or in a sandwich.