The old classic given a healthy boost with blended cauliflower and butternut squash. Perfect way to get those extra veggies into meal time with a delicious disguise of crunchy breadcrumb topping – great for using up crusts from the freezer!
Fills an 11” x 8.5” baking dish
300g cauliflower florets
300g butternut squash, cubed
200g cheddar cheese, grated plus a little extra for topping
100g cream cheese
Breadcrumbs from 6 slices toasted Vogel’s bread (no crusts), blended into crumbs
- Cook the macaroni in salted water until slightly undercooked then drain and set aside
- Cook the cauliflower and butternut squash with 150ml water in a lidded pan, until soft
- Whilst the vegetables are cooking preheat the oven to 180C.
- Once vegetables are soft, drain from pan and whizz to a smooth puree using a food blender
- Add the vegetable puree back to the saucepan with the milk and cheeses and whisk over a low heat until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Mix the sauce with the macaroni and pour into a baking dish. Top with the crumbs and a little extra grated cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
The perfect cosy dish for those darker autumn evenings.