A festive feast doesn’t have to break the bank or require lots of extra food that could go to waste.
How about using up old bread with a festive twist of the traditional bread and butter pudding? Introducing, Whiskey & Orange Bread and Butter Pudding. Ultimate comfort food and perfect way to use up your old slices of bread.
8 slices day-old Vogel’s bread, crusts removed
50g soft butter
4 tbsp Seville orange marmalade
300ml full fat milk
248ml double cream
3 large eggs
1 vanilla pod
4 tbsp golden caster sugar
1 tbsp whisky
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3
- Butter each piece of bread on both sides
- Take 4 slices aside and spread with 1 tbsp of orange marmalade
- Create 4 marmalade sandwiches by popping the remaining bread on top of the 4 marmalade slices
- Cut into triangles and place in rows in a large baking dish
- Beat the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, sugar and whisky together, then pour over the bread. Leave to soak for 30 mins
- Spread the remaining marmalade all over the top and dust with the icing sugar
- Bake for 45 mins-1 hr or until puffy and starting to caramelise
- Serve hot or warm.