Breakfast just got even more fun! These pizza fingers add an extra bit of excitement to boiled eggs with an added bonus of hidden vegetables in the tomato sauce. There will be plenty of sauce left from this recipe which freezes really well and creates multiple servings to be used in lots of other dishes.
Tomato Sauce (serves at least 8)
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 sticks celery, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook the onion, celery and carrots in the olive oil for around 20 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and seasoning. Simmer for half an hour.
- Whizz to a smooth sauce using a hand blender, or leave chunky if you think your little ones will eat it.
Homemade tomato sauce (above)
Grated cheddar cheese
To Serve – boiled eggs
- Toast slices of Vogel’s bread on one side until golden
- Once reached a golden colour remove bread from grill, cut off crusts and into soldiers
- Spread tomato sauce evenly on soldiers, top with grated cheese
- Pop under the grill under cheese is melted
- Serve with boiled eggs