Salmon, Egg & Asparagus Breakfast
Is there anything better than spending the time making yourself a delicious breakfast at the weekend? If you’re looking for something new to make, why not give this salmon, egg and asparagus recipe a try for your next brunch.
16 asparagus spears, woody ends snapped off
2 slices Vogel’s original mixed grain
4 slices smoked salmon
100 g butter
2 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp tarragon or parsley, finely chopped
- Steam the asparagus for 4 minutes while you toast the bread. Spread the toast sparingly with butter, then top with the asparagus and smoked salmon.
- Poach the eggs in simmering water for 3 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and blot on a piece of kitchen paper. Sit them on top of the salmon.
- While the eggs are cooking, heat the rest of the butter in a small saucepan until sizzling.
- Put the egg yolks in a narrow measuring jug or mug, just a bit wider than your handheld stick blender. Stir in the lemon juice and mustard, then season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Put the stick blender into the egg yolk jug and turn it on, then pour in the hot butter in a thin stream.
- As soon as all of the butter has been incorporated, spoon it over the eggs and serve immediately, sprinkled with herbs and cayenne pepper.