Looking for something a little different to try at lunch time? Why not give our sticky hoisin tempeh sandwich a go, delicious and packed full of protein to keep you going throughout the day.
400 g tempeh
8 slices Vogel’s Soya & Linseed bread
½ cucumber, sliced diagonally
1 carrot, cut into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler
4 spring onions, shredded
a small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
For the marinade:
2 tbsp garlic, finely grated
2 tbsp fresh root ginger, finely grated
½ tsp Chinese 5-spice
3 tbsp char siu sauce
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a marinade by mixing the garlic, ginger, 5-spice, char siu sauce, hoisin, soy, rice wine, brown sugar and sesame oil.
- When the tempeh is ready, cut it into 1 cm thick slices, toss it with the marinade, then cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight if you prefer.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan. Remove the tempeh slices from the marinade and sear on each side in the hot oil. Pour in the marinating liquid and continue to cook until it bubbles down to a sticky glaze, turning the slices regularly to coat.
- If you’re eating the sandwiches straight away, serve the tempeh hot. If not, leave to cool before constructing the sandwiches.
- Top four slices of bread with cucumber, carrot and spring onion. Arrange the tempeh on top, add a handful of coriander, then close the sandwiches with the other four slices of bread. Wrap the sandwiches in greaseproof paper if you don’t eat them straight away.