Bread and butter pudding is surprisingly versatile – and we’ve given it a Middle Eastern makeover thanks to custard sweetened with honey and scented with cardamom, dried apricots for pops of sweetness and pistachios for crunch.
Not only that, but we’ve replaced the butter in our bread and butter pudding with pistachio butter for an extra layer of flavour.
2 whole eggs, plus 4 extra egg yolks
300 ml whole milk
300 ml double cream
90 g honey
¼ tsp ground cardamom
10 slices Vogel’s bread, crusts removed
100 g pistachio butter
100 g dried apricots, chopped
2 tbsp apricot jam, melted
25 g pistachio nuts, chopped
pouring cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (130° fan) / 300F / gas 2.
- Whisk the eggs and extra egg yolks with the milk, cream, honey and ground cardamom until smooth.
- Spread the bread with pistachio butter and layer up in a buttered baking dish with the chopped apricots. Pour over half the custard mixture and leave to soak in for 5 minutes before pouring over the rest.
- Put the baking dish in a deep roasting tin and pour enough boiling water into the tin to come 5 cm / 2 inches up the side of the dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until only just set in the centre (internal temperature 71C / 160F).
- Brush the pudding with warm apricot jam and sprinkle with pistachio nuts. Serve warm with lashings of cream.